Friday, October 9, 2009

Cake FAIL

First off, I love the show Ace of Cakes. I went to visit the Charm City Cakes site and read that, "we require a minimum of $1000 on all of our cakes." I don't know about you, but even though their cakes are AMAZING I need that money for other things. So, I set out to make my own amazing cake. I looked at their flavor list and noticed Peanut Butter and Jelly cake. Never heard of that flavor of cake so I went for a recipe on the internet and found this one. I followed that recipe step by step, popped it in the oven took it out and it looked flat and tasted GROSS! Guess what? The directions didn't tell you to add the sugar! Since Shelby and I made this together I asked if she had more time to try again. She did and we made the recipe again, this time WITH the sugar. It came out great. Now it was time to make fondant which I never done before. I used this recipe which was FUN to make. It came out great, but we didn't roll out enough fondant to cover the cake. It ended up glopping on the cake, so we just added the jelly anyway ready to call it done. Even though it looked terrible I had the best time with Shelby and the cake still tasted Great.


Cake without Sugar



Shelby w/finished Cake




Lesson - Read directions carefully instead of blindly following them. Cakes need sugar! As for everything else... Practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment